There have been a lot of people contacting me about the Custom Sidebars plugin, it has reached +20000 downloads already. Some of them have told me about a bug, others about some possible improvements… Thanks to you all, I will try to listen to everybody to make a useful plugin.
In case you don’t know what this plugin does, Custom Sidebars allows a WordPress administrator to create all the sidebars that he or she may need and assigns them to a post or page individually. It also permits you to assign custom sidebars to the home page, category archives, custom post types, author pages… Long story short, Custom Sidebars gives you the control over your site’s sidebars.
What’s new on version 0.8
- Category hierarchy is now handled properly, so if a post doesn’t have a defined sidebar, it uses the one that belongs to its deepest level category and if it can’t find a sidebar defined there, it will go up in the category hierarchy looking for it.
- Now you can set a sidebar for a custom post type post individually.
- The way that the plugin replaces sidebars has been improved, making the replacements really fast.
- There have been some improvements on the interface.
- Compatibility assured up to WP 3.2 beta 2.